Friday, September 25, 2009

Favorite Scriptures for Comforting Those That Worry

As I sat beside her hospital bed, we both twirled our rings. We thought it was just a cold but the cough was different this time and she could not breathe right. I worked in radiology and knew the x-ray did not look right. Waiting was not something Mom was good at doing, especially lying in a hospital bed. This was her first time in a hospital since her cancer surgery 4o years ago. How much longer will it be before the doctor tells her the news -- beign or malignant. I said the same prayer over and over. Prayed for God to heal Mom before I even heard the news. But it never eased the fear. I could not even remember the Lords Prayer or Psalms 23. The darkness of fear kept me from speaking the words. The worry for Mom. Is she going to handle the news OK? How will my brother handle it? What is the next step? How will we tell my aunts and uncles? I didn't even think about how I would handle it because I knew that I would do whatever it would take to make my mom happy, comfortable and live long. But it would not stop me from worrying. Natural fear - human fear.

This is what goes on in a human mind whenever we are faced with a situation of stress. Fear is worrying about the unknown of something we can do nothing about. Fear is worrying about the future, even if it is something that is to happen within the next minute. God says to give our fear to him in prayer. THE LORD is my Light and my Salvation--whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1).

There are many of you that have had situations like I had with my mother. There are others who have had personal situations where scriptures have comforted them. Please share the scriptures so others may receive comfort. Here are a few to start:

God will cover me with his wings; I will be safe in his care; his faithfulness will protect and defend me. I need not fear any dangers at night or sudden attacks during the day. (Psalm 91:4-5)

I am not afraid of receiving bad news; my faith is strong, and I trust in the Lord. I am not worried or afraid. (Psalm 112: 7-8)

God Bless You All!

No comments:

Post a Comment